Holiday Survival Guide: Staying Home For The Holidays
Fear not, festive friends: Staying home doesn’t have to be a prison sentence. Here’s how to start your own Xmas traditions and make the most of the season chez vous.
• The classics never go out of style. Watch Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman and all your Claymation faves, curled up on the couch with popcorn.
• Speaking of popcorn, bust out that air popper that’s been collecting dust! Making popcorn garlands is fun. (Tip: For best results, use day-old popcorn.)
• The week before Xmas, pick out items to donate. The extra room will come in handy when Santa stops by.
• Starting December 1st, countdown to Christmas by saying one thing you love about each other before dinner.
Festive Field Trips
• Don’t hibernate. Take advantage of the winter wonderland by ice skating, cross-country skiing or building a snowman.
• Check your local listings for holiday concerts, sing-alongs, home tours, plays and performances.
• Don’t forget: December 21st is the longest night of the year. Celebrate the winter solstice by embracing the evening. Take in the holiday lights in your hood while sipping hot chocolate or spend the night stargazing.
Season’s Greetings & Eatings
• Don’t resort to the posed family-portrait holiday card (yawn). Turn card-making into a craft project. After all, nothing says love like a homemade greeting.
• If a picture says a thousand words, a video says a million. Email a clip of some fave holiday moments over the years.
• Create a Christmas card that keeps on giving. Make one card with multiple pages that you mail back and forth with family each year.
• Turkey not your thing? Try tourtière, a classic meat pie from Quebec.
• Make your mom’s famous [fill in the blank] for a taste of home.
Find more ideas and tips in our Holiday Survival Guide:
Holiday Bucket List for Couples
How to Host a Kick-Ass Christmas Party
Delicious Cocktail Recipes
Turkey Dinner 101
Hilarious (and Helpful!) How to Roast a Turkey Video
Staying Home For The Holidays
Sweet and Salty Chocolate Bark Recipe
Our Gift To You: A Free Upgrade To 2life Premium
Image(s): Laurent Davoust