6 Tips for Small Space Living
You don’t need a lot of space to make a home feel cozy and inviting. From a design plan to lighting ideas, there are some tips and tricks for small space living that can help you make the most of your humble abode.
Here are 6 tips for small space living.
1. Think About Design. Before moving in, have a well thought-out design in mind that takes advantage of every single square foot. Make sure you know your measurements, and have a floor plan before purchasing anything.
2. Less Is More. For small space living, minimize all your possessions and select a style that is clean and simple. That doesn’t mean it needs to be cold, utilitarian or ultramodern – just not over-furnished or overdecorated.
3. Multitask. Furnish with smaller-scale items that serve more than one purpose. For example, have a coffee table or bench that provides extra storage, a sofa that pulls out into a bed, or even a desk by day and dining table by night.
4. Clutter-Buster. Organization is made easy these days with innovative storage solutions, such as custom designs for the inside of closets and cupboards. Built-in bookshelves and TV units are other great ways to get objects off the floor and into place — essential for small space living.
5. Light Fantastic. Wherever possible, use wall-mounted fixtures, which don’t require the same amount of space as portable fixtures.
6. Optical Illusion. Some materials and colors can actually make a room appear more spacious than it is. Lucite side tables, strategically placed mirrors (to reflect light) and even a white sofa work really well for small space living…just like magic!
Image(s): Christopher Stevenson; pictogram by Lisa Walker