Traditionally, grooms speak on behalf of the couple at a wedding, but it's 2016 and more and more newlyweds are choosing to give a joint speech at their reception.
Here are six pointers that will help you and your fiance(e) write a heartfelt and memorable wedding speech.
1. Plan Ahead. Lack of preparation is a defining characteristic of crappy wedding speeches. It's never too early to make a list of people that you want to thank or to start jotting down anecdotes. You might not use all of them, but at least you'll have a collection to choose from when you're ready to begin writing.
2. Revise & Rewrite. A brilliantly witty and heartfelt speech isn't going to materialize the first time you sit down to write it. It will take multiple revisions and rewrites for you to get it right (hence, the whole "plan ahead" thing). Reading aloud when you're proofreading your drafts will make awkward phrasing and run-on sentences more obvious.
3. Give Thanks. Thank guests for coming to your wedding and make special mention of those who traveled a long way to be there. Thank both sets of parents for their help and support and for welcoming each of you into their families. Be sure to thank your wedding party for being part of your big day and, last but not least, thank your new spouse for being such an amazingly [fill-in-the-blank] partner.
4. Short & Sweet. Save your guests the torture of a long-winded snooze-fest by keeping your speech within 5-6 minutes long. It will give you more than enough time to thank everyone, share a couple anecdotes and toast your future together.
5. Format. Even if you've memorized your speech, it's wise to have a printed copy in front of you in case your memory conks out at the halfway point. Print your speech using large font, double-spacing and smaller margins. The large font and shorter lines of text will help you recover quickly if you lose your place.
6. Remember, This Is Fun! Public speaking can be nerve-wracking, but try not to stress too much about your wedding speech. This isn't a stuffy business proposal; it's a celebration of your love for each other in front of your nearest and dearest. If you get nervous, look over at your new spouse and remember that you're in this together--and will be for the rest of your lives!
Use the JOURNAL tool in our 2life Weddings app to write your wedding speech together.
Plan your celebration together! The 2life Weddings app is the best way for engaged couples to get inspired and organized for the big day! Chat, share, collaborate and coordinate with your fiancé(e), all in one colorful, easy-to-use app. Download now, it's free!
Image(s): CSA Images